Monday, June 04, 2007

Where are my pirate pants?


The groovy youngsters about town who think that the 80s were all about the "angular" rock a la the Gang of Four, skinny ties and tight black jeans may be in for a rude awakening. The National Gallery of Victoria here in Melbourne is running an exhibition of fashion by Brisbane designer Katie Pye.
I never wore this kind of thing- I escaped the worst excesses, with only one or two dodgy haircuts and a "Blue Monday" 12 inch- but I knew plenty of people who did. The cross-buttoned "Spinnaker" shirt in particular brought back some strong memories.
There's also the added bonus of a video installation, which includes not one but two of Pseudo Echo's efforts. They were big customers of hers, apparently, but frankly, the Strokes they ain't. Which isn't saying much.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:10 PM

    I confess, I WAS an 80's fashion tragedy - my 2 biggest regrets tho' - perming my hair and giving away my Adam & The Ants album !!sadly, I still miss that album..(was that you I just heard choking on your beer?!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have "Dirk Wears White Socks" & "Kings Of The Wild Frontier". Did you give away the one with "Prince Charming" on it? No great loss...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:36 PM

    'twas "Kings Of The Wild Frontier"..what an idiot I was!!
    I used to see a Heavy Metal band (Blackjack) back in the 80's that did a cover version of the 'Ants Jolly Roger...farkin' funny!!
    "hoist the Jolly Roger
    It's your money that we want
    And your money we shall have"

    ha..

    ReplyDelete