Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Janine Hall

My friend Janine died last week. While the circumstances are still a little cloudy, they’re not really important. What matters is that she’s gone.

Born in New Zealand, she was an enthusiastic and notable part of the Australian music scene. She was a member of Melbourne’s legendary Young Charlatans back in the early days, playing her bass alongside Rowland Howard (pre-Boys Next Door/Birthday Party) Ollie Olsen (pre-Whirlywirld/NO/Max Q) and Jeffrey Wegener (pre-Laughing Clowns). Janine later joined the Saints for two albums (“The Monkey Puzzle” and “Out In The Jungle”- yes, that’s her playing on “Always” and “Follow The Leader”) and plenty of live shows in the early 80s, before moving onto Mick Thomas’ Weddings Parties Anything. That’s some CV- and that’s only the edited highlights.
She trained and worked as an acupuncturist in recent years, and as a sceptic I was surprised by the difference a few treatments from her made to my tinnitus. And she never really let me pay her for them, either, preferring a few beers and a game or two of pool at the Tote to cash.
Her funeral is private, but there will be a wake held for friends at idGAFF on Thursday afternoon, 29 May, from 3.00 til 7.00pm. See you there.

Pic- Janine and co. on the back cover of "The Monkey Puzzle"




Update- this just came to my attention:
There will now be a funeral service for Janine Hall.
The service will be at Lonergan WG Raven at 187 Queens Parade Clifton Hill at 2pm sharp on Thursday May 29.
A wake will follow at IDGAFF 160 Hoddle St Abbotsford from 3pm.
All those who knew Janine are welcome.

Please pass on the info.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:09 PM

    Hi. I was a close friend of Janine's during her schooling as an acupuncturist back in the late ninties... I only just heard now that she has passed and so has been searching for details... if you could advise me of her partner Michaels details to pass on my condolences I would greatly appreciate it.. becgosling@hotmail.com. Losing her is a great loss to the earth...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:40 AM

    Hey, thank you for posting this. I looked for some info about waht had happened and you were the only person who cared enough to write anything. She was a great friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:03 PM

    I would like to just say that Janine was an awesome bass player. Thanks for the great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:05 PM

    I was Janines partner for 17 years.The last16 months we were seperated but still in contact and towards the end we where starting to hag out and have a good laugh. A day does not go by when I dont think of her and miss her dearly.I work in Abbotsford so I am forever being reminded of Janine and our time together. I have only just dicovered the site.I will post some recient and old photo's.Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,
      this is Mick Thomas from Weddings, Parties, Anything. On the 20th of November we are being inducted into the Age EG Hall of Fame and as they have asked us to perform the Scorn of the Women album at the show it would be good to accept an award on behalf of Janine. I have asked if Support Act if they might accept the award for a family member but I have not been able to contact anyone so far. If you wanted to get in touch my email is . Hope to hear from you.

      Cheers....Mick

      Delete
  5. Anonymous10:58 AM

    I am Janines sister Kathy. Nearly 1 year has passed and I think of my zany,crazy sister everyday. Still no Coroners report!!! Love ya sis. XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:39 AM

    Sorry to only have just discovered this posting. Her work as a bassist was a huge step forward for women in rock, and she was a participant in a glorious period of post-punk. I am crestfallen to learn of her untimely death. Condolensces to all those who were close to her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:46 PM

    i only last saw janine not long before her death when she played the idgaff. a bit late but i only just found out about her sad passing. my sincerest condolences to her loved ones

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3:13 AM

    I was lucky enough to see Janine play with The Saints at the now non existent Kingston Rock in St-Kilda in 1980. It was around the time of the Paralytic Tonight Dublin Tomorrow EP era. Believe this or not, but at this point in time, early 1980, interest had kind of dropped off with The Saints..the Melbourne punks didn't show much interest maybe because Ed K had left....anyhow..that gig was brilliant..The EP went on to become legendary
    and Janine's big bass opening riffs on "In The Mirror" single and the "Simple Love" opener shows she was a great player. I consider it a great privilege to have seen her play live at a very special time in The Saints history. I was fortunate years later, when the dust had settled, to interview Chris Bailey and Ed Kuepper. I will forever be thankful i was at such a great "trophy gig". Deepest of condolences to her family and friends, especially those who have posted notes here.Life goes so fast, seems only yesterday i was a kid thriving on bands like the Saints in 1980 in St-Kilda, and now Janine is gone..boy, you have to enjoy life as best you can.. it goes so fast..VALE Janine Hall - Jodie Newell. Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:19 AM

    Vale Janine. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1:30 PM

    This is so very sad; Although I'm 6 and a half years late, and although I didn't know Janine, I find this news of her passing to be very sad. R.I.P., dear, and talented, and wonderful lady: you will never be forgotten, and your were loved by many.

    ReplyDelete