Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Album of the week- Butcher Birds: "Set My Bones"


Is Brisbane going through some kind of a phase right now? Sixfthick have never sounded better, Violent Soho seem poised for some kind of break out...and now there's this, the debut album from Butcher Birds (no "the" required).
It's saucy and kinda nasty at times but the overall feel is kinda sweet. Tracks are mostly built around heavy basslines, with some classic loud/soft/loud dynamics going on too, and they aren't afraid to let things play out a bit if it suits. "Dig Me!" and "Yoko Coma" would be my top picks but it's all pretty damn good. Oh, and there's some bubbling internet controversy going on about the band that may raise a chuckle, too.
Playing at the Old Bar soon, I hear.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:05 PM

    Yep ... Yoko Coma is my fave right now. Minor chords just kill me. This and the New Christs' Gloria make me happy.

    ReplyDelete