Monday, July 09, 2007

Nick Cave and such

So I see Grinderman are touring in a few months. It's an interesting idea- a set of regular Nick Cave stuff, followed by the same band playing a Grinderman set. My main misgiving would be that I think the Grinderboy's material would be much better served in smaller venues, but there is no word yet of any side shows. Still what would I know- I'm sure the fans will happy to see it, regardless.
This is from the TJH archive:


Nick live at the Venue in St. Kilda- now long since demolished- back in 1988. I'm not quite sure how I scored a stage pass for this- seem to recall that someone from Died Pretty gave it to me. I certainly didn't play, or get on stage.
My favorite memory of this night was going up to Blixa Bargeld on a dare, and asking him in my most sincere voice, exactly how to pronounce
Einstürzende Neubauten. I'm not even going to try and transcribe his answer, suffice to say I've never heard any else reel it off the same way before or since. I chatted to him for a minute, until he gripped my elbow and hissed "Do you know vere I can get zum speed?" , at which I pointed him to an acquaintance of mine who would be happy to help him out, and slipped away.

No comments:

Post a Comment