Wednesday, March 18, 2009

AMPivalent.

The time is nearing for the announcement of this year's Australian Music Prize winner. And that's all there is apparently- an announcement, due to made on Friday. I haven't seen anything about any sort of actual ceremony.
While the short list looks interesting:
Apocalypso – The Presets
Beaches – Beaches
Havilah – The Drones
In Ghost Colours – Cut Copy
Jungle Blues – CW Stoneking
Love Is Gone – Jack Ladder
Presque Vu – Tom Cooney
Primary Colours – Eddy Current Suppression Ring
Sympathy For the New World – Ross McLennan
they still leave me cold for some reason. Is it the lack of anything other than cold hard cash as recognition? The rumours of big-name politics behind the scenes? Their continuing failure to make any meaningful impact in the mainstream? I'm not sure. The Drones seemed to have parlayed their 2005 win into something, though I think that's more down to them, really.
Whatever. I hope ECSR win, though I expect to be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I got what I wanted- ECSR did indeed win. This'll look nice on the mantlepiece next to the AIR award, and will fill the space left by that missing ARIA.
    Congratulations, fellas.

    ReplyDelete