Friday, December 01, 2006

You won't be seeing me on TV

A couple of months back I heard that the Lifestyle Channel were holding auditions to find hosts for a new program about barbecuing.
I wasn't going to bother (honest!) but on the day we happened to go past the area where they were set up, outside the Palais in St. Kilda. It looked kinda interesting, but still I balked at it.
Then an hour or two later a friend who did audition rang and explained the set up. You had to cook a sausage & an egg while talking to the cameras. That was all. AND you got a goodie bag...I was swayed by the thought of a new set of tongs, so went and signed up.
Steve Lucas from X, resplendent in a red tartan suit, and with a raging hangover from the Ian Rilen benefit show the night before, had decided to have a crack too. I'd love to see that tape.
I won't go into details, but will just say that when the producer guy said "We'll call you", I thought I was in.
Sadly, it was not to be. Jamie Oliver and Neil Perry can rest easy.
But the friend who sold me on the idea apparently got a look in. Her name is Janet A. McLeod and she is a very funny lady. If you have cable, and have nothing better to do than watch TV on a Saturday night, the program is called the Great BBQ Challenge, and is on at 7.30pm tomorrow, 2 December.
I'll sign off with a pic of some real BBQ. Here's one I made earlier, as they say. That's Underwater Jesus admiring some pork ribs.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:13 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:00 PM

    Too bad you missed out on the T.V. spot TJ...you could've given up your day job, if you have one?

    I heard Jamie Oliver is worth $30,000,000.00 +

    You would make your partner a very happy woman if you could earn that amount of money by doing something you love and are good at!

    Cheers, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I cooked one of those racks, Tracey cooked the other. It was an Iron Chef-style challenge. they were both excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:00 AM

    I like the look of the ones on my right...an even shiny golden brown appearance.

    I can only think about eating atm...too hung over.

    Sounds like you have had lots of jolly cooking fun...like I already said it's a pity you didn't get the T.V. role, you have obviously been practicing!

    Cheers, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's perfectly appropriate that Jesus presides over barbecued Adam's rib... 'Tis quite a rare piece of meat indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:47 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete