Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Not technically "records".

It was Record Store Day again on the Saturday just past. There appears to be some sort of shenanigans/argument going on around this, which I neither understand nor care about. What was important was that I managed to hit two participating stores in the space of a few hours.
At Polyester in Brunswick St. I bought a copy of "Prayers On Fire", from Julia Zemiro, of all people. That's three I have now- red vinyl, black vinyl and CD.

Listening to it later I was struck by how well it has aged. It is monstrously good- clever, heartfelt and immensely changeable from track to track.
Then, in the afternoon, I ducked into Greville Records over in Prahran to see Warwick and Steve, and grabbed this absolute pearl:

Details and samples can be found right here. I've had volume two- sadly, there are only two volumes- of this for a while now, it's good to finally make it a pair.
So, two CDs, for a grand total of $35, requiring a cross-town trip (which I woulda been making anyway) a bit of conversation and a few beers. A good day's work all round, even better that it was all done by 5.00pm.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:10 AM

    Wow, you like funk? I would never have guessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you kidding? I love that stuff. Love it.

    ReplyDelete